Hot Cross Pikelets are just delcious!
I love a Hot Cross Bun! These are so close and so delicious! They are perfect for little Easter treats and great for parties and Easter gatherings.
Little Hot Cross Pancakes - Easter Pikelets
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup Castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 11/2 cup SR flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Bicarb
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 teaspoons of Mixed Spice
- 1/2 cup sultanas or currants
- 2 tablespoons of cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- Start with taking the cold ingredients out of the fridge so they aren't so cold.
- Whisk up the milk, sugar till its a little frothy.I use my hand held mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Add in the Mixed Spice & Vanilla
- Add in flour and bicarb then the egg
- Lastly the butter and whisk it all up.
- The batter will be quite thick but that's ok that's what makes them fluffy :)
*You can also make the Pikelets a little ahead of time, once cooled store in air tight container not in the fridge.
*You can double it or triple it no worries and you can keep the batter for a day in the fridge just give it a good whisk before using.
- Use a clean fry pan over medium heat
- Melt about 1/2 tablespoon in the pan. When it is melted and frothy it is ready to go.
- Start with one spoonful of batter into the pan. It should start to cook straight away and little bubbles should appear around the base of the Pikelet.
- Here is where i add a few sultanas or currants in so they are even between the pancake batch. Just pop a few on top.
- When bubbles start to appear on the top of the Pikelet then its ready to turn.
- You want to flip the Pikelet in one move so gently lift using your egg flip tool and slide the blade completely underneath before quickly flipping over.
- Be sure not to over crowd your fry pan.
- Cool on paper towel before serving.
Add your cream cheese to a small bowl and stir in the icing sugar.
Spoon it into a piping bag or a zip lock snack bag and trim off the corner.
Just pipe on crosses to the Pikelets.
* In one batch of Hot Cross Pikelets i made i added a tablespoon of Nutella to the icing bag for little chocolate cream cheese crosses
You might also like: